Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on Fire!

Not quite, but catchy nonetheless. And luckily our story wasn't that serious.

Labor Day is a SUPPOSED to be a day for parades, telethons, and barbecues. Well, we had none of that planned. Making up for our lack of initiative, Josh decided to have an open-flame BBQ of his own, but instead of steaks he cued up some pop tarts. I was trying to catch up on some sleep when I heard my name called. Yes, Josh thinks calling me by my first name is supposed to get my attention quicker than plain ol' "Daddy". Well, it sure got me up in a fit, but for good reason. This was no "Cry Wolf". The toaster was on fire and inside were these two charcoaled pop tarts. I grabbed the pot holders and yanked the toaster out of the wall and rushed outside, where I doused it with the water hose. Sorry, folks, I didn't have time to get the camera and capture the memory for you all. But it looked something like this...(see above)

Thankfully, the damage was minimal. Who cares about the toaster, but the unfinished wood from the cabinet underneath was slightly singed. I tried cleaning it with Murphy's oil soap and I'm going to try again with bleach. This accident prompted me to 1) unbury the fire extinguisher to now be in plain sight, 2) make sure the fire alarm works and to remember that ADT will not call in case of a fire because we didn't "upgrade our subscription" and 3) to COUNT MY BLESSINGS. We are more than lucky that this wasn't a) Hurricane Gustav or Hanna, b) Tropical Storm Fay, or c) Central Florida brush fire. You are/were/will be in our prayers for any of you faced with these obstacles. I hope all of you are doing well.

P.S.

Umm... the rest of the day or weekend was spent doing minor house repairs and taking the boys to McDonald's and to the movies to see Star Wars: Clone Wars. What was so funny was Blake got excited every time he saw Yoda. He probably thought it was another Mickey Mouse character, you know, with the funny ears.

Yes, there is a Happy Meal movie toy tie-in and I swiped 4 different bobbleheads from our visit to McD's. Too bad there's like 18 altogether. We got Han Solo, Luke, Anakin and some weirdo named Ventress. It's a pretty good movie, and it makes more sense than anything Oscar-nominated. Plus, the movie precedes the Clone Wars cartoon series on The Cartoon Network (naturally). Well, it was a fun weekend even though many Americans were in worse shape than us.

5 comments:

jello said...

We got a nice toaster oven to replace our faulty toaster. Thanks, Josh! Just like when Josh set fire to a small patch on the living room carpet, we got upgraded to new carpet throughout most of the house.

Justin said...

haha... nothing like having your kids "set a fire" to get things done around the house! :)

The Kelly Family said...

Hey Joel,
It's Rob, long time no see.
I wanted to answer your questions. The first one, is that it is super easy to download anything onto a palm centro. It comes with a USB hook up which goes into your computer. You download a program which comes with the phone and everything you upload into that program goes to your phone with a press of a button and vice versa. The scriptures I found online by googling "LDS Scriptures for palm". They are free. If you can't find them, let me know.
The second is yes, you will be charged extra for satellite radio unless you have a media package on your phone.
Hope this answers all your questions.
Rob

Jill said...

Oh no! Hopefully all will be ok.

Hmmm.... I'm thinking mini-pyro on your hands!

The Kelly Family said...

Hey thats awesome who are they???